Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Caramel Soaked French Toast

I just made this 
for a volunteer breakfast we are having at school...
It is absolutely D-I-V-I-N-E!
I make it for everything...
Christmas morning breakfast (every year)...
brunches...
whenever I need a breakfast item...
this is my go-to...
So simple and so scrumptious...
And it ALWAYS gets rave reviews...
I'm serious...people hunt me down to get the recipe...
I hope you enjoy!

Caramel Soaked French Toast
(Southern Living Five Star Recipes)
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup plus 2 TB light corn syrup
loaf of french bread cut in slices
4 large eggs
2-1/2 cups milk or half & half
(I use whatever kind of milk I have on hand)
1 TB vanilla
3 TB sugar
1-1/2 TSP ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter melted

Directions:
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
Pour syrup mixture evenly into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
Arrange bread slices over syrup.
**I usually slice the bread and then cut the slice in half**
Combine eggs and next 3 ingredients; stir well.
Gradually pour mixture over bread slices.
Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
Combine 3 TB sugar and cinnamon; stir well.
Sprinkle evenly over soaked bread.
Drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter over bread.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45-50 minutes 
or until golden and bubbly.
Serve immediately.

{image via Cooking Light}

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love hearing your feedback & thoughts!